Pages

Wednesday 16 October 2013

Bournemouth Tour - Day 4

The weather folklore of the moon halo is correct. I woke up this morning to the sound of heavy rain, strong wind and a crashing sea. So after breakfast I headed out to try for some good stormy weather photographs. All I managed was rain on the lens! So I gave up on that idea and went to clean my coach.

Today is a free day. Karen has her man friend coming to visit her. He must be keen, he's had a three hour drive to get here and he's only staying for a day. Good for her, I say. Especially at her age!

Once the coach was spick and span I went to do a rekki on a hotel over on West Cliff. The hotel in question had been suggested to the MD but he sounded unsure of the place and has asked me to check it out while I'm here. I don't think it's up to our standard to say the least. 

After a very wet walk to get there and back, the sun came out. Typical! So I decided on a glass of wine on the terrace. 

Since I was last in this hotel in July, a shed has appeared on the lawn with a large mirror ball mounted on the top, which is a product of this years Bournemouth Arts by the Sea Festival. It is described as being 'conceived as both a sculptural work on the outside and a working observatory on the inside, it reflects and magically inverts the silent world using beautifully simple technology of the mirror and the lens. Based on a typical Bournemouth style beach hut, but sitting atop is an enormous, shining ball of stainless steel. Inside, the hut has a tardis of sensations - with familiar daylight transformed into a coloured haze as steps lead to the interior of the dome. Three lenses are installed inside the sphere, which, acting together, create a 360-degree camera obscura, delivering an inverted vision of the world outdoors.' 


The receptionist laughed and told me off when I asked if I could go in the shed. 'Its not a shed!' It gave an interesting view and also distorted sound. 

I spent the rest of the afternoon watching the world go by. Several of our group have visited the Russell Cotes Museum and Art Gallery and have all said how good it is and how much they've enjoyed it.

Another very good meal this evening. I think I need to employ a chef at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment